- Concerned with how accurately a receiver interprets the meaning of a message, compared to the meaning intended by the sender.
- If person X does not understand person Y, it is theoretically impossible to achieve understanding just by having Y keep speaking to X.
- Even if X claims to understand Y, this does not mean understanding was reached.
- Wide ramifications if we think of communication in general.
- Reading Notes: Recent Contributions To The Mathematical Theory Of Communication Reading notes from 'Recent Contributions To The Mathematical Theory Of Communication' by Warren Weaver.